Our School Ethos
Our vision for education at Swiss Valley Community Primary School is based on four core purposes which we want all of our pupils to develop during their time with us.
At Swiss Valley we want our pupils to be:
- Ambitious, capable learners;
- Enterprising, creative contributors;
- Ethical, informed citizens;
- Healthy, confident individuals.
Our vision is:
‘To create a safe, caring and stimulating ethos where children interact with each other and staff in a challenging learning environment. We want all our children to develop a positive attitude to learning by providing an enquiry based approach, empowering pupils in acquiring the knowledge and skills required to reach their full potential and be able to make an active contribution to an ever changing technological, diverse society’.
To achieve these we aim:
- To develop the whole child –intellectually, emotionally, socially, physically, morally and spiritually.
- To cultivate a climate of success for all children, celebrating all of their achievements in all aspects of their lives.
- To involve our pupils in the learning process and empower them to participate in all areas of school life.
- To help learners to become confident, self-reliant, self-respecting and responsible global citizens who will make a positive contribution to society.
- To develop in all individuals the capacity to work both collaboratively and independently and also the ability to determine the appropriate method for the task.
- To develop a personal moral code, sensitive to the needs of others.
- To actively seek to raise all standards and be part of an on-going self-evaluation process.
- To promote equality of opportunity and respect for all irrespective of race, gender, ability, or religion. The school has an equal opportunities and anti-racist policy which all staff adhere to. This can be viewed on request.
- To actively promote Children’s Rights and responsibilities.
- To preserve and develop our own cultural identity within Wales, while at the same time promoting an understanding of, and a respect for other cultures locally and globally.
- To provide regular physical education lessons within school time and to offer, when possible, after school sporting activities which would include team and co-operative games.
- To promote a healthy lifestyle (we are proud of the fact that we are accredited as a Healthy School).
- To raise students’ awareness of sustainable development issues thought classroom study and community action.
- To empower our pupils by becoming literate, numerate and technologically able to function effectively in an ever-changing Twenty-first Century.
As a school community we believe that the ethos of the school should be built on a foundation of values. These values support the development of the whole child as a reflective learner within a calm, caring, happy and purposeful atmosphere.
The values we focus on are: